Monday, February 9, 2009

Catch Up Time

Hey everyone, I was out of touch with the mighty internet this weekend. Fortunately I survived, and here are the things I wrote on a piece of paper:

Thursday, February 5
"Poem"

The best way I know to articulate it,
Is like this:
Here I am
And maybe you all are too. 
I think about bank accounts
And grass
And Coca-Cola and dinosaurs
And talk about them
And think some more
So I become them.
I, me, myself...become them.

Sometime when I see an ocean
Or a funny smile
I arrive at a peephole
And a moment is whispered
Where the cokes and dinos are nothing
And therefore I am nothing.
I, me, myself...nothing.

And yet
Somehow, someway
In that nothing moment
I don't need to expand
Because I am everything then.


Friday, February 6
"In A Hotel Room"

        I saw, on a table, a mayonnaise pack and a ketchup pack, slightly rubbing up against each other. They were two of the lucky few left over from a burger dinner, and I could tell they wanted to celebrate. But they were in such an open, flat environment that they merely laid there, content to brush serrated edges until I turned the single bulb lamp off above the table and shut myself in the bedroom for the night. Yes, I would sleep alone again, my arm across my other pillow, while the packets of condiments enjoyed themselves on the table.


Saturday, February 7
"The Great Pyramid"

Good.
  Good. Good.
    Good. Good. Good.
      Good. Good. Good. Good.
Good. Good. Good. Good. Good.
  Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good.
    Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good.
      Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good.
Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good.
  Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good.
    Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good.
      Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good.
Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good.
  Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good. Good.


Sunday, February 8
"The Stars"

      He said he was a nowhere man, on a nowhere sidewalk.
      I said no, I only want to know which way is Caesar's Palace.
      He pointed at the carpet of blinking lights above our heads and said, see all the stars, everywhere around us? They will show you the way.
      I was impatient but intrigued and said, where do they tell you to go?
      A woman walked past us through the darkened double doors, putting a blackjack dealer's shirt over her gaudy and stretched hooker's tank top. He said, wherever I haven't yet been.
      I asked someone else for directions.

2 comments:

  1. oy mate i wish you'd put these in separate posts because they each deserve it, and then we could comment, but no worries.
    Re: "poem" -- you've said this so much better than Julian of Norwich. It's amazing.
    Re: "In a hotel room" -- you've distilled it all right here with humour and grace. Damn.
    Re: "The Stars" -- don't know how you did it but you combined serene and lurid wonderfully. also i love how conducive this 100-w format is for the punchline ending, but that you got away from that here in part by having a bunch of them throughout

    sounds like a solid weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. put em in separate posts!

    I LOVE "in a hotel room." Genius.

    ReplyDelete